*IMPORTANT* ALL YOU NEED TO READ ABOUT ZD CASE

*IMPORTANT* ALL YOU NEED TO READ ABOUT ZD CASE

Postby MODERATOR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 pm

It's not often this place takes a serious tone, but this is one rare exception. The following was originally posted by a flob member who just so happens to be a former British barrister (attorney for American readers). Rare in a thread characterized by made up stories from friends and supporters of the accused, it is an impartial analysis of the actual facts in the case by a qualified individual with actual trial experience.
Site Admin

Re: *IMPORTANT* ALL YOU NEED TO READ ABOUT ZD CASE

Postby OMNI » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:22 pm

If the times reported here are correct, it goes very strongly against Dean’s account of events. It says that the camera footage shows the victim on his motorbike appearing in Zhongxiao E. Rd. Section 4 at 5:04 AM, followed one minute later by a speeding Mercedes E320, presumed to be Dean’s, which struck and killed the victim two minutes later at 5:07.

After that, we have the film of Dean’s car entering the parking basement of his apartment building at 5:07 (impossible to reconcile with the accident having occurred at exactly the same time more than 3 km away, so one of these times must be awry; since the accident was reported at 5:06, we can reasonably assume that the times shown on the filmed sightings of the victim and the black Mercedes were slightly inaccurate, fast by one or two minutes), and of Dean entering the lift/elevator to go up to his flat/apartment at 5:14.

If the clock on the camera at the entrance to the building car park is wrong, that gives us just 7 minutes (or 9 minutes if we assume that the Zhongxiao E. Rd. Sec. 4 camera times were a couple of minutes fast) from the time of the accident to the time of Dean’s getting into the lift. Is it possible that, in just 7-9 minutes, he could have come to from a drunken stupor (long enough after the occurrence of the crash to be blissfully unaware it had happened), assess the situation of the driver and their whereabouts, make his decision about driving himself the rest of the way home, convey his wish for the driver to pull over and get out, and after the driver has done so (which wouldn’t be likely to happen in just a matter of seconds), move into the driving seat, drive the last 3 or so km to his apartment building, park the car, get out, lock the car, get to the lift, call it and get into it? And all of this with the slowed-down movement of someone so drunk he could hardly walk unaided (he himself has said that someone had to support his arm when he went to his car to start the fateful journey).

It strikes me as extremely unlikely, if not downright impossible. If the times on the films are anything but wildly inaccurate, it is hard to reach any other conclusion but that Dean did indeed eject the driver from his car before the accident, during the more than 15 minutes (from 4:50 to 5:06 or 5:07) that it took them to drive the 3+ km from the girlie bar to the crash point, rather than during the 3+ km between the crash point and his home.

Since this conclusion is supported by witness and video evidence, versus Dean having no witness or video evidence to rebut it, it seems entirely reasonable to me that he should have been convicted, and that the verdict cannot be impugned on any convincing grounds.

One other thing: Although there is no extradition agreement between the UK and Taiwan, Section 194 of the UK’s Extradition Act 2003 provides for the negotiation of a special arrangement for extradition of an individual with states with which no other extradition provisions exist. Therefore, it is quite reasonable for the authorities here to expect to be able to secure Dean’s extradition under the provisions of this section. If they set about it with sufficient competence, I should think they ought to have a good chance of success, given the gravity of the offences for which Dean has been convicted, the lack of any strong public policy argument as to why he should not be returned, and the exacerbating circumstances surrounding his flight from Taiwan, especially his admission that he stole a British passport and used it to commit a serious offence of identity fraud. If the powers-that-be decide against indicting him for these offences in the UK, at least they should make sure that he’s sent back to Taiwan to answer for his crimes here.

I would be a very, very worried man if I were in Mr. Dean’s shoes.
OMNI

Re: *IMPORTANT* ALL YOU NEED TO READ ABOUT ZD CASE

Postby VAIN DEAN » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:52 am

After all these years I nearly got away with it. I admit DUI drunk driving killing that poor sod delivering newspapers.
It's not my fault he got in the way of me in my mad rush to get home before I got busted for drunk driving. I blame the retired police officer who spotted my car at the wreckers place.
I blame the wrecker for not destroying my car immediately so know one would even know it my my car that I drove to kill a man.

Woe is me I had to spend 3 years in prison avoiding being sent back to Taiwan, my true second home I love so much.
However, there is one thing I do still believe in, and that is Chris and my GF who are on the whole decent, well meaning, industrious, and friendly. I will miss their generosity of spirit, and their willingness to take it up the arse and do jail time for me. 16 November 1971 is my birthday please do send me presents
VAIN DEAN

Return to ALLEGED CRIMINALS & REAL ONES TOO