new life

new life

Postby newlife » Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 am

Hi

I am new to Taiwan coming from Ireland. So far I have been very impressed with the friendly nature and politeness of the people on this Island. It is so much more friendly than Korea. I almost feel like staying here longer term. I have to say though I am a little disappointed by the general negative attitude of foreigners towards the local people and to my possible intention to try and start a business here and stay longer term. Okay the traffic in Taipei is a little wild but in general things are so easy to get done here and people go out of their way to help me. It is almost embarrassing how well people treat me (apart from some of the other older foreigners).

Anyway anyone got any tips or advice on what not to do and what to do in Taiwan. What are some things I should not do here as so far it has been a positive experience. I went down to the mountainous area too for a few days and it is totally beautiful. Friendly people and beautiful country am I being naive? I really want to try be a success in Taiwan. Advice?
newlife

Re: new life

Postby MODERATOR » Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 pm

newlife wrote:Hi

I am new to Taiwan coming from Ireland. So far I have been very impressed with the friendly nature and politeness of the people on this Island. It is so much more friendly than Korea. I almost feel like staying here longer term. I have to say though I am a little disappointed by the general negative attitude of foreigners towards the local people and to my possible intention to try and start a business here and stay longer term. Okay the traffic in Taipei is a little wild but in general things are so easy to get done here and people go out of their way to help me. It is almost embarrassing how well people treat me (apart from some of the other older foreigners).

Anyway anyone got any tips or advice on what not to do and what to do in Taiwan. What are some things I should not do here as so far it has been a positive experience. I went down to the mountainous area too for a few days and it is totally beautiful. Friendly people and beautiful country am I being naive? I really want to try be a success in Taiwan. Advice?

Choose your expat friends carefully. The negativity you are picking up on generally comes from people who are unhappy in their lives. Some people come here and get caught in ruts, seeing the same people and repeating the same experiences again and again. They don't learn the language, don't explore and don't expand themselves. Instead they drink hard, spend their time with others like themselves and spin wild tales about how Taiwan 'really is.'

If you want to be happy, I'd suggest: 1) Take a language course. Being able to speak and understand some of what is going on around you can go along away to avoiding ghetto-ising yourself. 2) Learn to be independent. This is related to the language thing. Don't depend on others for everything. Try to get things done on your own. You'll feel an enormous sense of satisfaction for having done so. 3) Take what expats say with a grain of salt. There are a lot of bullshitters who think they know this place. Most don't. And often the ones who say they do REALLY don't. Verify everything. Go to the relevant government agencies for anything regulatory relating to your ARC, regulations etc. Most things relating to culture and society are best sourced from Taiwanese people themselves. Don't believe the expat lore spread by burnt out teachers in expat bars and on certain websites which shall remain nameless. 4) Keep an open mind, be patient, and take breaks from this place when you feel you need them. 5) Remember: Taiwan was here before you came, and will be long after you leave. You will change nothing. Adapt and you'll be content. Complain and you'll be unhappy. It's up to you.
Site Admin

Postby tainancowboy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Newlife -
All good advice from "MODERATOR."

I would add...get a really good insurance (auto, life, health) policy (preferably from an off-island company) to enhance your 'Taiwan experience."
tainancowboy

Postby B Asmuth » Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 am

Fuck off and show us your tits.

If you're a man, show us your girlfriend's tits
Drink distilled water
B Asmuth

Postby tainancowboy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:45 am

Oh my...this has certainly taken a turn for the worse.... :shock:
tainancowboy

Postby smurfette » Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 pm

B Asmuth wrote:Fuck off and show us your tits.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours, bebe... :idea: :idea:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
smurfette

Postby B Asmuth » Thu May 16, 2013 11:47 am

smurfette wrote:

Are they blue?
Drink distilled water
B Asmuth

Postby TEMPER GAIN » Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 pm

MODERATOR wrote:Choose your expat friends carefully.

Yeah especially try not to associate with some of the criminal elements and losers here. You will many expats claiming to be something they are not, not pillars of the expat community, or they work on secret missions for the CIA, MI6, FBI etc.
Welcome to Forumosa... Treat people with respect... Be civilized... Every member of this community has a responsibility to participate in a respectful manner... You are strongly advised to exercise a little common decency... Oh, and FUCK YOU CARAMEL! ... forumosa Admin (actual post)

TEMPER GAIN

Postby THE HULK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:04 am

B Asmuth wrote:
smurfette wrote:

Are they blue?

Would that not be his balls?
Ich bin ein dummkopf.

Popping flies since 1928

You only take revenge on people when you are 100% sure of success.
THE HULK

Return to OPEN FORUM