TAIWAN CULTURE

TAIWAN CULTURE

Postby MAOMAN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 am

The burning of money is a crock of shit. It's another lucky rabbit's foot hoisted upon an unquestioning public, willing to do anything to change their "luck".
Just because something is part of the fabric of life, doesn't mean it's indispensable or has some sort of value. Headhunting was also once part of the fabric of life on this island, as was poor farmers selling their daughters to brothels.

This number 4 business is also laughable. How terribly ethnocentric to assume that just because in your dialect the words "four" and "death' are homonyms, that means the number is universally unlucky.

Mirrors across from the bed? Why not? You'll see better if they're on the ceiling, though! Not safe in an earthquake, however sleeping under a beam surely is.

Hot water? Only when there's no cold water.

Chopsticks sticking out of a rice bowl? I wouldn't, but only out of good manners, just as I do not leave my cutlery in my food.

Go swimming in Ghost Month? There's not even a pool in this country deep enough to drown in.

Whistle in the dark? Why not?

Screw the ghosts. Sure, we have our superstitions in the west, but nobody takes them seriously, and if someone does, they are dismissed as a CRACKPOT. :mrgreen: (hehehehe) Just to prove it, I call upon every ghost and demon in the history of freaking China to come and possess me and make me do the Macarena naked up and down Zhongxiao East Road. hock: If you see me on the news tomorrow, you know what happened! hock:

Fengshui is a quaint tradition, and some of it is rooted in logic and science, but most of it is just plain bullshit
By the way, my real name is Tony. Next time you see me call me by that name.

You can also just PM me or call me at 0935-560-995.

Anthony Van Dyck
I stand behind my words because they're mine
MAOMAN
Site Admin

Return to OPEN FORUM